Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Place mats! Whoo-hooo!

     So, I got this book called "The New Handmade: Simple Sewing for Contemporary Style," by Cassie Barden.  There are a lot of really neat things to make in there:  bags, iPod cover, cell phone case, composition book cover (with pockets!), laptop sleeve, and....place mats (among other things)!

     I have a nice dining room table and, along with being nice, it's also big.  I can't find a tablecloth long enough to fit it!  That's the main reason why I use place mats--so I don't have to be like some crazy table nazi, attacking people when they set their buttery knife down by their plate.  These place mats also have a pocket for the silverware; who cares what side the knife/fork/spoon should be on...just put it in the pocket!

     This past Saturday I was in JoAnn Fabrics and I found this cool Asian inspired print that I really like.  I love light blue and red together, so I marched right over to the red section, where I found this red fabric with irregular white polka dots.  Asian print + red with polka dots = super fun place mats!



Here's a close up of the pocket:



These place mats are also quilted.  Now, I am by no means going to start calling myself a quilter, but I think I did an okay job for my first time ever quilting anything.  I'm very pleased with my new place mats.  I can't wait to use them!  I had some of both fabrics left over, so I think maybe next I'll make a cell phone case--then maybe I can stop dropping my cell phone. : )

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment