Monday, April 12, 2010

Super Mario Brothers Birthday Party

My oldest has turned 4...they grow up so fast!  Owen wanted a "Mario and Luigi" party for his birthday.  Being the procrastinator that I am, I waited too long and ran out of time to order party supplies online.  Here are my solutions:

I made the cake.  My mom always made my cakes when I was growing up, and as long as I am able, I'll make my kids' cakes (not that there's anything wrong with a "bought" cake--I actually enjoy cake decorating).


To make the background, I covered a cake board with blue scrapbook paper.  I drew the hill and coins on cardstock with with a Sharpie (one of my favorite tools!), cut them out, and attached them to the background with pop dots (sticky foam that make the pieces stick out).  For the blocks, I used cardstock to construct a box, drew on the bricks, attached the gold squares, and attached the box to the background.  The Mario is a sticker that I stuck on cardstock and cut out.  I taped toothpicks to the back and stuck him in there.  I got the sticker from a Mario magazine that I lucked into finding at Wal-Mart the day before I made the cake!

Here's my "Mario" with his cake:


I used eyeliner to draw mustaches on all of the kids (except the girls...they were NOT in to facial hair).

I wanted to get a pinata, but our local party store didn't have Super Mario anything.  Instead, I bought an Iron Man pinata (because it was already black around the sides) and I painted it to look like a chain chomp.

Here's me with the chain chomp pinata:


I also made the invitations for the party.  I made a scene similar to the cake on cardstock sized to fit those long envelopes.  I'll post a picture of those shortly...

1 comment:

  1. What a great theme you chose for the party. A lot of my childhood is all about this game. I still remember playing this game a lot or you can say it is an initial stage of very gamer out there. I will also plan a party on this theme at best home studios NYC for my son.

    ReplyDelete